Sunday, June 19, 2011

BEING JOHN MAYER

A couple of weeks ago, as I rummage into my collection of bootleg CD's, I stumbled upon my John Mayer’s "Room for Square" CD, his first successful mainstream album, which I found lying in a pool of rip-offs in a derelict lot in Taft, and funny as it was, it still conjures up pleasurable and ugly memories of the not so distant past when my life was in total standstill.  

One particular song, which I am fixated to is "St. Patrick’s Day", the song I played probably a million times and not to mention those countless nights I endured hearing it just to render me numb from the so called quarter-life crisis.  I am very much aware that almost all people in their mid to late 20's, in one way or another, went through this ambivalent phase in their lives, the series of depression, the stress of worrying about things left undone, and the agony of procrastinating over failed decisions in life, and yet to be able to identify yourself with a sad song is as absurd as the idea itself.


Mr. Mayer is still a genius.  Coming up with such song that essays life as it drifts to obscurity is an understatement I think….

“Everybody, it seems to me, just wants to be just like you and me…No one wants to be alone at Christmas time"

No comments:

Post a Comment